Sunday, 16 February 2014

Review Of The Project

I think that (personally) the project went well, the film fits within all the constraints that were outlined earlier, it's two minutes twenty second long and the film itself is pretty good. It met all the criteria and after the premiere the audience seemed to like, although my little brother didn't understand it (he didn't understand any of them), but then again he doesn't really watch that many. Everyone I spoke to seemed to enjoy the film, so I quantify that as a success.

I enjoyed discussing ideas with the others in the group and the actual filming was pretty entertaining, as I got saddled with wearing the costume as another actor dropped out, so that was a bit unexpected but it was pretty good to experience what it was like act under direction of a crew. I also enjoyed working to deadlines for the group, writing the script, it forced me to actually write something instead of trying to write and dithering on what to put into it. Whereas actually writing for the deadlines made me have to be decisive and just write; though to be honest, when I had to write the script I spent six hours writer's block trying to figure out a way of getting a very visual outline into script form and last two pages whilst taking on board all the feedback, that for me was probably the least enjoyable and most challenging bit of the course: being stuck with writer's block and having to submit a script to the group. But, that was just a small part of the course, everything else was great and I enjoyed just about every minute of it.

The course helped me learn alot about the film industry and a lot about script writing, from turning your constraints into strengths and how to format your script correctly. The course also helped me actually use Facebook useful as a communicative device (as opposed to just a way of viewing memes) and has allowed me to easily share outlines and scripts with the group and get instant feedback, and in general the course has helped me work better with others and communicate much more clearly.

Looking back at my project plan, it all really went to plan, we did end up with a two minute twenty second long film that doesn't feature gratuitous violence or gore and everyone pulled their weight, it all really ran like clockwork, the only major challenge was an actor pulled out but we soon got round that (i.e. I had to fill in).

As a result of the project I now have an better understanding of filmmaking and the industry and how to get ahead in it (networking, lots and lots of networking); the product that was made (the short film) did hit all the criteria and everyone did seem happy with it, and in terms of learning new skills everyone in the group learnt alot about their specific allocated role and how to perform that role to the best of their ability.

The others seemed to enjoy the finished film and the course itself, which I can agree with as the course was really informative and a great experience that I am glad to have taken part. If I were to do it again I would probably try to write a better script or come up with a better idea, that would maximise the use of the surrounding area and the use of equipment (as with our film we didn't use any sound recording devices).

Below: Screenshots from a group review of the project, evaluating how we all managed to perform our roles.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment