#5058
by
Kyle Holden
“#5058”
FADE IN:
INT. MENTAL INSTITUTE - DAY
The lone figure of #5058 stands
over the window in a cold, white room gazing into the distance, into the
unknown.
#5058 (V.O)
I really
didn’t mean to do it, or that’s what I ended up telling myself, it’s just…you
can never be sure can you. Did your unconscious mind set out with it’s own
agenda, that try as you might to deviate from; you just end up right back in
the same position. Back to square one.
A FIGURE becomes visible through the window, across the
road, but there is no mistaking that it is looking directly at #5058.
#5058
(V.O) (CONT’D)
But it was
around the time of the accident that I started to see things, at first it I
wasn’t even sure it was even there; a trick of the light, a reflection, it
couldn’t have been anything out of the ordinary. But as time went on I began to
see things more clearly.
#5058 puts his hand up, and starts to perform a slow,
unsure wave. The FIGURE responds with a
similar awkward wave, completely devoid of emotion, with all the grace of a
child mimicking an action.
INT. CINEMA – NIGHT
The seats are all empty bar one- the middle seat of the
front row, occupied by none other than #5058, who is now heavily engrossed in
the film.
Blissfully unaware of the FIGURE sitting in the back row,
watching #5058 intently.
Film
Character #1 (O.S)
Hey, where did you come from?
Film
Character #2 (O.S)
I’m the…plumber.
(pause)
Carole sent me; I heard the pipes
were backed up.
Film
Character #1 (O.S)
Well, if you say so, though I
can’t really say I’ve had much trouble with it, but if Carole thinks there’s a
problem, then there must be a problem, typical Carole “ Oh let’s not
discuss this let’s just fritter money away and hope for the best”
(pause)
Right this way.
(The sound of a large bag of tools can be heard from the
screen)
#5058 leans forward curiously, still unaware of the FIGURE
at the back of the cinema, although now he has moved a row closer.
Film
Character #1 (O.S)
So, what’s wrong with it?
(Metal
tapping)
Film
Character #2 (O.S)
It looks to something to do with
the left phalanges, don’t worry though I can have it fixed in just a jiffy.
(Metal
rummaging)
Film
Character #1 (O.S)
Wow, that’s quick. So, did you
hear about what happened at the Peterson house a few nights ago? You never
think a thing like that will ever happen in your neighbourhood and then that
happens, you’d think people would be a bit more diligent as to who they let in;
some people are just so gullible…
(pauses)
What is that?
Film
Character #2 (S.O)
Carole.
#5058 braces himself for what is
to come; the FIGURE is a row closer.
(A loud wet thud is heard from the screen, followed by
excessive screaming)
With each thud #5058 flinches and swings his body around
his, each movement is becoming increasingly violent as the screams carry on,
but with each convulsion the FIGURE appears closer and closer.
The FIGURE appears in the seat directly behind #5058, he
turns around the see nothing but an empty seat. He turns back to watch the film
only to find the FIGURE in the seat next to him.
The FIGURE turns to look at #5058, the light falls on his
face revealing an vacant space.
Film
Character #1/FIGURE
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY FACE!
INT. OLD HOUSE – NIGHT
#5058 is looking down at the bloodied corpse of the FIGURE
(off screen), his eyes are bulging and is drenched in blood.
INT. MENTAL INSTITUTE – DAY
#5058 sits in the middle of the cold white room.
FADE OUT
CREDITS.
No comments:
Post a Comment