I came in to the course without a clue what I wanted to do later in life, though I was thinking of doing something film related or science based, this course has given me a bit more of an indictation. As I really did enjoy writing the script and taking part in actually filming the short, the course itself did have a "industry day" wherein many speakers from the industry came in and spoke about hoe they got into the industry, some of whom got in by climbing the ranks, others by going to university or film school.
So, it quickly became apparent that there wasn't a sure-fire way of getting into the film industry, especially when you take into account many of the major directors had to finance their own debut features to launch their careers. I had always wanted to go to university, though I hadn't been quite sure what exactly I wanted to study, but I do remember one of the speakers (Tim Murray) had remarked on the "Industry day" "after leaving university I felt like a film critic, after leaving film school I felt like I was a filmmaker".
This gave it all a different spin, I had wanted to go to a film school, but the cost had detered me, that I didn't really want to specialise on just filmmaking as I am still not entirely sure what I want to do in the future. Though the course has shown me that I really enjoy filmmaking, it has also shown me how hard it is to get in to, and I would probably need something to fall back on so as to not have all my eggs in one basket.
No comments:
Post a Comment